Location: Poughkeepsie, New York
The Electroneurodiagnostic Technician is a multi-skilled allied health care worker who performs diagnostic testing procedures including, but not limited to, electroencephalograms, and evoked potential studies. The technician works under the general supervision of the Clinical Manager or designee.
- Follows procedural protocols, sleep deprived, sedated and bedside EEG, to ensure collection of appropriate data Follows procedures to verify integrity of collected data and complete calibration processes.
- Follows procedures to establish and document baseline values. Performs data acquisition while monitoring study-tracing quality to ensure signals are artifact free.
- Documents routine observations, clinical events, changes in procedure, and other significant events in order to facilitate interpretation of results by interpreting physicians.
- Applies electrodes, stimulating electrodes and sensors according to accepted published professional standards.
- Explains the procedure and orients the patient to the department. Evaluates patient's general condition to accommodate special needs. Review's history, physical, medication, procedure prescription and testing protocol. Thoroughly completes and verifies documentation.
- Recognizes and intervenes in situations related to patient safety Demonstrates effective decision making and critical thinking.
- Maximizing the scheduling of Inpatients and Outpatients.
- Functions and upholds the professional standards of conduct via evidence-based practice. Assists in the implementation of the patient teaching plan at the level appropriate to own knowledge base/scope of practice.
- Schedules appointments for patient testing in the Neuro Diagnostic Department. Completes processing of all procedures including data entry into hospital-based computer system.
- Prepares information for physician interpretation, copying, faxing, delivering, results and filing. Is knowledgeable about all computer-entry.
- Maintains accurate billing information. Completes charging, via the hospital information system. Obtains documents and enters appropriate diagnosis codes for testing performed or processed. Provides statistical data as it relates to department performance improvement.
- Assists with Sleep Center filing, mailing preparation and intake/scheduling of patients. Takes initiative to assist in other departments during periods of low volume workload
- Supports and participates in changes affecting the department. Assists the Clinical Manager in competency development and verification: (New business opportunities, Projects, Policy revision/competency verification, New equipment implementation).
- Serves as a resource for clinical skills/knowledge for colleagues and other departments including orientation of new staff and staff that is cross-training from other departments: (EKG tech training/competency, Participates in Neurodiagnostic related continuing education credits and shares the knowledge with staff through in-service).
- Maintains active pursuit of REEGT Board Certification.
- Performs routine equipment maintenance, including calibration, testing, preparation, repair when necessary and cleaning. Participates in equipment evaluation. Informs supervisor of any defects or malfunctions.
- Maintains appropriate supplies and stock levels for the department.
- Performs all related duties as requested.
Experience as an EEG Technician, preferred.
Graduate of an accredited school Electroneurodiagnostic Technologists, preferred.High School Graduate required.
Certified in BLS. Other certifications as required in specialty area
- If applicable, the individual performing this job may reasonably anticipate coming into contact with human blood and other potentially infectious materials. Individuals in this position are required to exercise universal precautions, use personal protective equipment and devices, and learn the policies concerning infection control.
- Demonstrated written, verbal and customer service skills.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively deal with patients, employees, and visitors.
MidHudson Regional Hospital
MidHudson Regional Hospital in Poughkeepsie, NY, is home to the mid-Hudson Valley's most advanced healthcare services. This 243-bed facility cares for more than 10,000 inpatients annually while performing an additional 325,000 outpatient procedures each year. MidHudson Regional Hospital operates the area's only Level II trauma center, is home to the Redl Center for Cancer Care and Center for Robotic Surgery, and is a destination hospital for patients with serious illnesses and injuries.